What is a Maths Active School?
Maths Active Schools (MAS) is an intiative of the Mathematical Association of Victoria.
MAS Schools demonstrate a number of attributes and values targetted the School, the
Teachers, the Students and the Community.
MAV’s Mathematics Active Schools initiative is a way to recognise and support schools who demonstrate effective learning and teaching practices in mathematics.
What is the criteria for a Maths Active School?
Maths Active Criteria
- Actively supports the mathematics professional learning needs of staff,
- Has appropriate school structure the mathematics program to maximise learning and teaching,
- Promotes effective learning and teaching practices in mathematics,
- Uses assessment to inform teacher practice to enhance student learning outcomes,
- Participates in student mathematics activities,
- Actively demonstrates a commitment to valuing mathematics in our society by incorporating parents and the community, and
- Promotes the effective use of technology in the learning of mathematics.
The MAV does not expect schools to necessarily excel in each of the criteria listed, but expects that schools have plans in place to move toward achieving the criteria.
Maths Active Primary Schools
- St Mary's Williamstown
- Berwick Fields Primary School
- Lumen Christ Catholic Primary School
- Jells Park Primary School
- Malvern Central Primary School
- Milgate Primary School
- Mount View Primary School
- Serpell Primary School
- Stonnington Primary School
- St Thomas Moore Primary
- Richmond West Primary
- Essendon and Penleigh Grammar (Primary) | Boys | Girls |
- Killara Primary | Numeracy | Literacy
TEAMP School Highlighted MAS
The Maths Active Schools Big Ideas Conference saw a number of presentations from exemplary schools. Click here to watch the video.
Literacy Teaching and Learning in Victoria
This webinar focuses on the literacy learning strategies are consistent with current research focussed on effective literacy teaching and learning including the recommendations in Literacy Teaching and Learning in Victorian Schools paper. The session will be conducted on the Victorian Departments' Adobe Connect platform.
Click this link to register and then join the session. You can access the slides immediately Literacy Learning webinar | Slides
Early Years Play with Paul Swan
The early years of schooling are critical in terms of the mathematics grounding that children receive. This often means that early year’s teachers are under pressure to reduce time spent playing and exploring. In this session, Paul Swan will share some ideas that involve children learning in a play and share some ideas about games and activities that have a clear learning intention.
Class Idea K-3 Resource: Mental Maths Strategies, a practical explanation